Joseph Staffieri relocated from Italy to Cornwall in the late 1800’s and in fine Italian tradition began to make ice cream to sell to the locals in and around St Austell. It was Joseph’s son-in-law Lazero who had the vision to expand and took the ice cream business mobile with a horse and cart, selling ‘penny licks’... the rounds built quickly with extra carts, horses and employed drivers.
In 1928 the company became mechanised when they invested in a Morris van, which they converted from a milk float, there was even a motorbike and side car unit soon after. From then on there was no stopping the demand for Kelly’s ice cream and by the early 50’s there were 40 vans travelling the length and breadth of Cornwall delivering this firm family favourite.
The company is now run by Philip Kelly, Joseph’s great grandson. Philip served ice cream at his first ever Cornwall Show over 50 years ago and he now personally oversees a fleet of immaculate vans and trailers that satellite from a new central hub at Bodmin Business Park.